Categories of Games
Most popular gambling games can put into three categories. The categories are based on how random the outcome of the game is, and how much control the player has in choosing an outcome.
- Random and Independent (slots, lotteries, dice, roulette)
Randomly generated, results independent of the next play
There is no control over the outcome.
- Random and Dependent (cards, bingo)
Randomly generated, results are somewhat foreseeable.
The outcome is controlled.
- Non-random and Dependent (sports betting)
You know what you’re betting on.
You have some sense of control about the outcome.
Major Groups of Games
- Power is important
- Image is important
- Bets are higher
- Generally men
- Starts gambling earlier in life
- Sense of control, skill
- Sports betting
- Horse racing
- Stock Market
- Real Estate
- Power not important
- Image not important
- Little money to spend
- Generally women
- Socialization not important
- Escape, fantasy
- Scratch Tickets