Niagara Multilingual Prevention/Education Problem Gambling Program
A Problem Gambling Project for Special Populations: Ethno-Cultural Communities, provided through Addiction Services, at the Niagara Health System.
Established in 2000, the Niagara Multilingual Prevention/Education Problem Gambling Program was created to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate problem gambling services via awareness, information, education and referrals to the various ethno-cultural communities across the Niagara Region, as well as outreach and public education activities. All our services are free and particular attention has been placed on confidentiality.
The Program supports the needs of the ethno-cultural communities and provides a link with other related issues such as substance abuse or concurrent disorders, and has established a partnership amongst all Niagara Region multicultural communities, services providers working with these communities and other social service providers..
This program is funded by the ninistry of Health and Long-Term Care Health Promotion Implementation Branch
Standards, Programs and Community Development Branch
Tobacco and Chronic Disease Prevention Unit
A multi-lingual website in 12 different languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish and Urdu, which contains linguistically and culturally appropriate information, and links to other related sites.
Problem Gambling Training for:
- Settlement workers
- Cultural Interpreters
- Social Service providers
- Financial/Legal sector
- other services
Gambling and Problem Gambling Information/ Awareness Sessions for:
- ethno-cultural communities
- social service providers
- financial/legal sector
- community groups
- ESL students and other services
Provision of multilingual Problem Gambling Educational Resources:
- Handbooks, etc.
Problem Gambling Display Information Tables at Community Events
All requests for problem gambling counselling are referred to the Community Addiction Services of Niagara (CASON) the designated problem gambling treatment centre for the Niagara Region.
- Niagara Multilingual Prevention/Education Problem Gambling Program, Addiction Services, Niagara Health System: 905-378-4647 x32503
- Web site: www.gamb-ling.com
- Heather Scott, Regional Director, Addiction and Mental Health Services: 905-378-4647 X
- Myra Quinonez-Alfonso, Program Coordinator, Niagara Multilingual Problem Gambling Program: 905-378-4647 x32503
- Community Addiction Services Niagara (CASN) Gambling Treatment Program: 905-684-1859
- Gamblers’ Anonymous Niagara: 905-351-1616
- Credit Counseling of Regional Niagara: 905-684-9401
- Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline (24-hour referral): 1-888-230-3505
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) toll-free Gambling Counselling: 1-888-647-4414
- CAMH Multilingual Problem Gambling Service (pdf to camh brochure)
- 24-hour Credit Counselling: 1-800-267-2272